AIA Publishing is a hybrid publisher created for authors who want the stamp of approval that comes from publishing with a selective publisher while still enjoying the high royalties and pricing control enjoyed by self-publishers.
Our model gives you, the author, the validation of quality you would get from any traditional publishing contract. With us you can avoid both the self-publishing stigma and having to learn a whole new set of skills. You’ll also get 100% royalties on ebook sales and 90% of paperback sales (through Ingram Spark). This great royalty rate is only possible because you fund the project, but all you pay is an hourly rate for the publication process plus the cost of editing, cover creation and formatting. AIA Publishing’s base line is a simple but quality product. If you require photographs or intricate formatting we subcontract the job out to others.
Please note that AIA Publishing does not publish non-fiction other than memoirs with a narrative structure. We also do not publish children’s books, graphic books, or books that promote racial or gender intolerance, violence or abuse, or that glorify groups that support such values.
“Unlike other companies, AIA Publishing is not about making money and squeezing the indie writer’s resources dry in return for mediocre services. Rather, they are laser focused on providing high quality books at costs that are more than reasonable. Tahlia gives authors complete ownership and control of their work, she provides quality services, coordinates with gifted professionals, and gives very good advice to make your book a success. Tahlia patiently explained the process, costs, and the services required to produce a well edited book. Easy to work with, very responsive, and high informative, Tahlia has been remarkably helpful!
The AIA Publishing stamp means high quality awarded by knowledgeable professionals who love books for books’ sake. I am thrilled to be published by AIA Publishing! – J.M. Erickson: Author of Intelligent Design: Revelations.
The submission process
- You may submit your manuscript to us using the submission guidelines below. We will look at a sample and either reject the book without stating a reason or request the full manuscript.
- If we read the full manuscript and the story and voice excites us, we may agree to publish your book, but unless it is ready to publish in its present form, we will request further editing/proofreading before making a final decision.
- If we reject your book and you would like to know why, you can book a manuscript appraisal with our managing editor.
- Final Decision: If we requested further editing, then when the editing and proofreading are complete, our team will discuss the book. If we are enthusiastic about it, we will offer to publish it. If we don’t make an offer, you can still publish it yourself, knowing that it has been edited to a standard that is ready for publication.
Please note that we are presently closed to submissions except for those from Tahlia Newland’s editing clients and authors whose books we have already published.
What we’re looking for
AIA Publishing’s novels have a little bit of something special, perhaps a strong voice, a unique idea or some depth of insight. We like genre fiction that has some depth in the story, and we look for strong story lines and active rather than expositional prose – i.e., showing rather than telling.
Non-fiction (other than narrative memoirs), stream of consciousness writing, children’s or middle-grade books, graphic or photographic books, and books that promote anti-social sentiments are of no interest to us.
“I’m going to say again how pleased I am with your editing and publishing services. Not only were you patient with me, but your professionalism and the people you have partnered with was above expectation.Most of all, I feel like writing again, but because of your editing services, I am writing with more confidence and enjoying what I’m writing with more passion. It’s a great feeling.” Gary Kreigh, author of Why Birds Fall
If you decide you’d like us to publish your book, please email publisher(at)aiapublishing(dot)com with ‘Submission for AIA Publishing’ in the subject line.
Please include all the following:
- Book title, genre and word count;
- The plot in one or two sentences;
- Brief description of the work (Max 250 words);
- What makes it unique;
- Why you want us to publish with AIA Publishing in particular. This is important; please be sure that you want to publish with us before submitting. If you’re unsure take a look at our FAQ page;
- About you;
- The first 1000 words in the body of the email;
- Do not attach your book. We’ll let you know if we want to read the whole thing.
If we select your book and you take up our offer to publish it
- We will let you know what editing is required and will quote you for the work.
- We will send you a publishing agreement to sign.
- We will arrange the cover and interior design for ebook and paperback. You can choose a different cover designer, but we will need to approve the artist and the results. If their files don’t meet Ingram Spark’s requirements, extra costs may apply.
- Books that include photographs will incur extra costs in preparing the photos for printing and interior design costs.
- We will give you the files for your ebooks to upload to ebook publishing platforms yourself. That way you have pricing control and 100% royalties for the ebooks. Even though you’ll upload the files to your own account, you can cite AIA Publishing as the publisher.
We can also publish the ebook to your account if you find doing it yourself too challenging.
- Though we will take your ideas into consideration, the publisher has the final choice of title, cover and formatting.
- Paperbacks have worldwide distribution through Ingram Distributors. Your paperback will appear on Amazon and other online stores and will be available for order through all bookstores.
- Authors have a non-exclusive publishing agreement with AIA Publishing,
The following costs are for publication of a paperback (through Ingram Spark) plus the provision of ebook files. Hardcover copies and books that include photographs will incur extra costs. Payments are made in three instalments.
- Publisher Costs of USD$365 (plus 4% Paypal fees for those without Australian bank accounts.) Australian and New Zealand residents pay AUD$555.
- Graphic Design Costs of $585 for cover and interior design for the ebook and paperback. Books over 80,000 words incur a further cost of $0.005 per word for formatting. Includes the provision of a 3D mockup of the book.
- Publishing Activities fee of USD$435 (plus half Paypal fees, 2%, where applicable) for activities such as title set up with printer; submitting book information to Thorpe Bowker data base; preparing, checking, and uploading files; setting up a product page and social media posts, plus email and other communications. This includes includes a one hour conversation to advise on marketing. Australian and New Zealand residents pay AUD$550.
- Special requirements such as books with photographs or a hard cover, the creation of extra cover files for KDP Print (+$50), and publication on the author’s behalf of the ebook on KDP will incur additional fees.
- Total cost of publication of paperback and provision of ebook files (not including editing and proofreading) USD $1385 (AUD $1690)
(Line and copy editing, if required, will be quoted and paid for separately. Proofreading is charged at $0.005 per word.)
- Ebooks: Authors upload the ebook files directly to Kindle Direct Publishing (or we can do it for you) and Smashwords or other publication and distribution points and retain all ebook royalties and control over pricing.
- Print on demand: Authors retain 90% of net income, i.e., what we receive from Lightning Source minus 10%.
- Payments will be via Paypal or electronic bank transfer and in the authors own currency. Payments will be made quarterly
- The author retains all copyright. Publications will be lodged on the author’s behalf with the Australian National Library to secure their copyright under Australian law.
- Author may buy books from the publisher for cost price plus postage from printers in the USA, UK or Australia, plus an order processing fee of $15, and for authors without Australian bank accounts an additional 3% bank international transaction fee and 4% if paying via Paypal.
- Term and Exclusivity. The publisher will have non-exclusive rights for the ebook and print versions of the work.
Marketing is primarily the author’s responsibility, however, we announce the book’s publication on our blog, and via our email and social media accounts – Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Linked In. We also do some pre and post-publication publicity on our Instagram and Twitter accounts and on our Facebook page. The publication package also includes a one hour Skype or Zoom meeting to discuss your marketing plan.
AIA Publishing provides authors with a step by step marketing guide and reading list as well as reduced rate access to Books-Go-Social marketing training courses. Assistance in setting up a basic author’s platform can also be provided for those who need it.
Why submit to AIA Publishing?
We pride ourselves on caring for our authors and making sure that their book is the best it can possibly be. With us you can be sure that your book is a fully professional product and that you have not paid a cent more than you need to in order to see it in print and ebook. But let our authors speak for us:
“What a difference a good editor and publisher makes! AIA published the second edition of my novel, Almost Human. They breathed new life into my novel by rebranding it. They kept me in the loop every step of the way with their professional and caring advice and expertise. They met their timelines and were prompt in getting back to me when I emailed them. They were very fair with pricing. My only regret is I did not use them sooner. I love the final product. The book cover is a vast improvement. I look forward to commissioning them for the sequel.” Kenneth L. Decroo, author of Almost Human.
“AIA Publishing is outstanding in its support for the author and delivery of the product.Tahlia provided all she promised, efficiently, smoothly and professionally. I felt sustained by her care and excellent communication in a process completely new to me. Tahlia’s guidance and experience brought my first book to the public without stress and provided valuable tips in marketing it locally and internationally. I have confidently recommended other writers to her who also have been grateful for her care and skills.” David Kerr, author of Out of Latvia.
“Let no one mislead you. You can self-publish a book for next to nothing on Createspace but to self publish a good, well-written book that will gather positive reviews on Amazon and from rated reviewers and bloggers, you will have to shell out. Not a huge amount but maybe a thousand imperial British pounds or so. You will need a professional structural edit, a good cover and a copy edit. I was rubbish with computers so I had to pay for formatting of the ebooks as well. I self-published my first two books (A Fair Wack and Time Lapse), garnered some good reviews, sold a few copies and gained accreditation from Awesome Indies. Tahlia Newland appraised the manuscript of my third book Not Without Risk, then carried out the structural edit, after which she offered to publish it and provided me with an estimate of cost. I checked on what I’d spent on my first two books and it was in the same order.
I’m a wary creature by nature and have read all the horror stories about Vanity Publishing on Writer Beware. A quick google brought up nothing but praise, so I went for it. The book has gathered a lot of good reviews from rated reviewers and bloggers including one on Amazon USA which said, ‘Very well developed characters, nicely painted scenes and exceptionally clean editing make this a book a joy to read.’ Now if that isn’t a testimonial, what is?” Pete Trewin author of Not Without Risk
Don’t know anything about publishing? You may find this article on the basics of publishing helpful. http://aiapublishing.com/modern-publishing-basics
See our Frequently Asked Questions page for honest answers to questions we’ve been asked.